The only thing you can take with you is what you are learning.
Normally the wall in my office looks something like this……
But everything on that wall has been stripped off…all the story boards……all of the strategies…..all the org charts. This new year, I am starting with a clean slate.
All of our successes, failures, arguments, celebrations…none of them are transferable. Only what we’ve learned is. Time is constantly moving ahead and so we must as well. To hang on tightly to a presentation or initiative from this past year takes energy and focus away from applying what you learned.
And while I have physically cleaned the slate, the next few weeks will be a chance to clear the slate mentally. As leaders, we owe it to our teams to be ready in 2017 and bringing the best of what we learned.
So while I take a few weeks off from blogging, I want to thank many of you who read the posts, like, comment, and share them. Happy holidays and wishing you a restful time where you can find your clean slate to bring your best back in the new year.
Here are this week’s 5 for 5 articles:
How to Develop Mental Toughness: Lessons From 8 Titans – by Tim Ferris
- SO WHAT: One of the best things I read this week. We talk about perseverance a lot on this blog, this post has some great tips.
10 CEOs Share Their Secrets To Keeping Employees Motivated (And Happy) In December – by Michael Grothaus
- SO WHAT: Great, practical tips…for any time of year. I really like the idea of letting employees try something new.
What’s an hour? – by Jason Fried
- SO WHAT: If you want to read more about this idea, I highly recommend Jason’s book “Rework”.
Teaching — It’s about Inspiration, Not Information – by Tina seelig
- SO WHAT: Leaders are teachers. This post has great recommendations on to be a very effective one.
The 10 most-watched TED Talks of 2016 – by Catherine Clifford
- SO WHAT: If you have extra time over your holidays, several of these would be well worth your time.
All the best, kevin