Good morning everyone.
The following is a quote I came across years ago, and as I proceed in my career means more and more every time I read it again:
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. – Edmund Burke
There are so many things we put off in our lives because we are waiting for lightning to strike. In other words, we wait for that one big, perfect moment to act, because we believe we have seen others who have made it big or made a huge change in their lives in what we perceive to me a very short amount of time.
Sadly, those moments are few and far between. But what is not, are the small moves that create the momentum to begin making a difference in our careers and our lives, not to mention those of others. How often to we put off doing something small but we are waiting for the one “big” moment? As we mentioned in a previous 5 for 5 post ( ), often those small moves affect the vector of the people around us in a positive way….if only we would act.
I know the inertia is tough…..I face the same thing. So here are 5 quick ideas that you could try this week:
- Creativity – Google search a hobby that you once loved, but haven’t tried in a while. Find a video or article you could read that would inspire you to try that activity out again.
- Leadership – Send a note of encouragement to the team you are leading with a small personal note.
- Health – Download a fitness tracker app on your phone and set a good initial goal……can you walk 2500 steps each day this week? If so, up to 5000 next week?
- Relationship – Call a friend or family member out of the blue. You don’t have to talk for hours. Call the first person that comes to mind. Tell them hi.
- Gratitude – Even if you can’t get to any of the items above, please try to send a thank you note to someone this week. Gratitude is an amazing power source for both you and the person receiving the thanks.
I just want to say again to all who subscribe to my newsletter or follow this blog on one of the social media sites, THANK YOU. I hope I can keep adding a little value here and there to your life and career.
Here’s this week’s 5 for 5 articles:
Focus And Attention Will Kill Your Fear – by Mitch Joel – via Six Pixels of Separation
SO WHAT: This blog post from Mitch Joel ties in well with the theme of this 5 for 5 blog post……fear is another thing that stops us from taking action…..even small ones.
Beyond the Brainstorm – by Lisa Bodell – Via Strategy + Business
SO WHAT: A great argument for engaging techniques beyond brainstorming to generate new ideas. Brainstorming is great, but as the author shows, only one of many tools.
How Successful People Stay Calm – by Dr. Travis Bradberry – via Linked In
SO WHAT: Calm is contagious. When people are looking at you to stay calm, this article has some good recommendations for staying calm just when you need to.
Put a frame around it – by Seth Godin – via @thisissethsblog
SO WHAT: People will perceive what you have to offer in how you present it. Make the effort, it will be appreciated.
“Inspiration Is The Common Thing”: Robert Wong – by Robert Safian – via Fast Company
SO WHAT: Don’t miss Robert Wong’s four Ps: purpose, people, projects, process. Get each of these right, in this order, and decisions become clearer.
All the best,